Thread: Lurtz?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
I think that you have it. Uglúk had to live that he might die another day (and lop off some heads in the interim), and so you couldn't have the Big U die at Parth Galen, as that would not be faithful to the books (and Jackson would never do that). How conclusive the end of FotR would be without the Lurtz-Aragorn duel, we'll never know. Seems like it worked for many, and note that even in FotR we had to start moving Aragorn towards kingship, and nothing says, "King" like a good head chopping.
I did not say I wanted Uglúk to die at Parth Galen. I said Uglúk would run off and survive till the next movie. That would be far more interesting as it would prolongate the baddie's life from one movie to another, so all the months between the introduction of FotR and TT the fans would be saying "I'm waiting to see Uglúk die!"

Also, "Lurtz-Aragorn duel"... do you call that a "duel"? He simply appears and chops his head off. That's all. I don't see anything exceptional on that, except for another absolutely ruining image of Aragorn (the same as when he decapitates the Mouth of Sauron). I know, I shouldn't have posted here in the first place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Does not Lugburz also sound German? That is the name that JRRT himself in the books text gives to the Barad-dur as spoken by the orcs. If a German sounding name was considered as authentic by JRRT then it should be darn well acceptable when used by the films. And besides, the name is not Lurtz spoken in the films. Why does anyone care about a name which is not really a name as seen or heard in the films?
I am speaking about the name that is used. At least I believe it's in the credits. And mainly because this revived thread is about it.

Yes, Orcish maybe sounds a little bit German in general, at least some of the words, but definitely not as much as Lurtz. I have seen dozens of more Tolkien-Orcish names - Lurtz sounds like some city or a commercial group. It's the "tz". That's not normal. Also the choice the vowels and consonants are connected. Let's say, Lugruth would be okay. But Lurtz???
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote