View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When I worked at The Hunt for the Ring I found this nice text that I think we should use here at the end of the sub-chapter [i]The Istari[/b]:
Quote:
... and so he was called among Men of the North Gandalf, “the Elf of the Wand”. For they deemed him (though in error, as has been said) to be of Elven-kind, since he would at times works wonders among them, loving especially the beauty of fire; and yet such marvels he wrought mostly for mirth and delight, and desired not that any should hold him in awe or take his counsels out of fear.>
RS-SL-39<LotR Companion; The Council of Elrond; 257 (I: 270). He was the friend and confidant of all living creatures of good will{ [compare, Bool II, Chapter 7, p. 359, I: 375: ‘With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men, / with mortal and immortal folk, / with bird on bough and beast in den, / in their own secret tongues he spoke’]. HE differed from Radagast and Saruman in that he never turned aside from his appointed mission{ (‘I was the Enemy of Sauron’ [Book VI, Chapter 5, p. 971, III: 249])} and was unsparing of himself. Radagast was fond of beasts and birds, and found them easier to deal with; he did not become proud and domineering, but neglectful and easygoing, and he had very little to do with Elves and Men although obviously resistance to Sauron had to be sought chiefly in their cooperation. RS-SL-40<addition taken from endnote{it}It is clear that Gandalf (with greater insight and compassion) had in fact more knowledge of birds and beasts than Radagast, and was regarded by them with more respect and affection.> But since he remained of good will (though he had not much courage), his work in fact helped Gandalf at crucial moments. Saruman {is sufficiently revealed in the story. No doubt he }started with good will, and with higher authority and superior powers. But he was impatient with sloth, stupidity, and obstinate free wills of the peoples he was sent to advise and encourage. It would seem that from the beginning he adopted a visible form of commanding stature and noble countenance. Unlike Gandalf, who in contrast would appear stumpy, and in certain respects comic or grotesque in looks and manner. His pride grew and he became pitiless, valuing things inanimate or living and all persons high or lowly simply as tools for his designs, to be deceived or misdirected, when simple force was not available. RS-SL-41<addition taken from endnote{he}He lost all sense of humour (alway strong in Gandalf).>FY-HL-04.5<
Concerning Hobbits
>RS-SL-28<HoME 12: Tale of Years 4 About this time also the Periannath, of whom there are no earlier accounts among Elves or Men, ...
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote