View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #49
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And even so he would never have just forsaken it, or cast it aside. It was not Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided things. The Ring left him.
This could simply be Gandalf's way of saying that once the Ring had moved on from Gollum (for whatever reason) it was a fait a compli. Like saying 'I'd been thinking about getting a new car for a while, then my old one packed up, so in the end it was the car that decided things & I had to get a new one.' Doesn't imply the car was sentient & 'decided' to stop working so I'd have to get a new one - its just a way of speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
The only problem seems to be that people don't want to acknowledge that the Ring is a character in the books that is capable of taking action to get what it wants.
Nope - the other problem is explaining how an object without a brain can think. I do understand where you're coming from, & a thinking Ring is the easiest explanation for events & statements in the book, but as I've begun to think more about it I'm starting to see that its not necessary for the Ring to be sentient.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote