View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:07 AM   #57
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
The only problem seems to be that people don't want to acknowledge that the Ring is a character in the books that is capable of taking action to get what it wants.

I have to ask myself why this is...
Maybe that's another 'division' between or amongst readers? Do you think the Ring is a character or not? By 'character' I mean in the sense that it can make decisions and act upon them.

Why do I think it is not a character in that sense? For several reasons, including that it does create more problems to my mind than considering it as a powerful yet somehow unearthly object. One reason I've been thinking about today is that of why Sauron would create something which is possessed of so much of his power and 'allow' it to have that kind of sentience? He may have sought to create it in such a way that it would have some kind of 'magnetic' property or other kind of force which was stronger the closer it was to him, but we cannot say that for certain. The 'pull' that Frodo feels in Mordor could be down to many things besides the powers of the Ring.

Though on this topic I am open to persuasion...