View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #62
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
lath
Those are good points (Kuruharan's too). And there isnt a right and wrong as I see it. I just dont see it the same way I guess.

Gandalf's quote has weight to the argument. I suppose I view it differently because I view Gandalfs take, as scholarly as it was, as giving too much credit to the ring. But, as a reader, I know that Gandalf knoweth not the will of Eru: he was making a best of an educated guess as he could. Why could that effect of shrinkage not have been caused by the evil nature of the ring? In other words, why leap to the conclusion that it was the ring's idea? That could happen to any evil ring that is worn by someone not wholly evil. Would shrinkage happen to an orc? Wraith? It's sentient enough for rejecting wearers only? Why would it not slip off every finger all the time?

Quote:
It left Isildur with orcs at hand. If it was the Ring's intention to be found by them, I daren't say, because it would be a rash action to leave Isildur in the Anduin.
Sentient and omnipresent?

But we cant nail it down either way. I just attribute more to fate, evil or good, and Eru's plan, than I attribute to the ring being its own master.

Aw heck, I dont know lol. I just think if it's that sentient, it would have found an orc in the Misty's somewheres and eventually rolled itself back to daddy S.

Last edited by drigel; 10-10-2005 at 10:02 AM.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote