View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #66
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Perhaps an example will help illustrate.

The Ring left Gollum because Gollum was no longer of any use. It dropped itself in a place where it would think an orc would find it. Given its physical limitations this was about the best it could do. This is where Eru intervenes because who should happen to be blundering about the tunnels but the most unlikeliest of persons, Bilbo Baggins.

Oops!

However, all is not lost. We still have to get out of the tunnels. Surely this silly creature will not be able to find a way out.

Ooops! That stoopid numbskull Gollum showed the creature the way out.

No worries! The orcs are guarding the door.

*pop* goes the Ring off the finger. It is about to be rescued!! Huzzah!!

#@*$!!! This critter Bilbo apparently has more going on in his head than one might initially think. I guess the Ring is along for a ride for a little bit.

However, from the Ring’s perspective, progress had been made. At least it was out of Gollum’s cave and out in the Wide World again. Who knows what could happen out there. (We do, of course, but at the time a world of possibilities would seem to open before the Ring’s metaphorical eyes.)

Quote:
My point exactly is that the ring is nothing without a bearer
I think in a way we were agreeing here. I wouldn’t say the Ring is nothing, I think the Ring remains the same thing. However, it requires a bearer to be able to do anything.

Quote:
what if the part of himself that Sauron put into the Ring was his Feminine Side?
For some reason, I think Mister Underhill might find this interesting…

Now, no doubt, I'm going to hear about how The Hobbit is non-canonical.