View Single Post
Old 07-11-2002, 09:52 AM   #149
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

They had been lying indolently in the shade for some time when the imperative words of the dragon cut through the silence.

'Elf! Take up your pen!'

'Your wish is my command, O Wingèd Terror!' Pio scrambled to find one of Child's many writing instruments and borrowed a few sheets of vellum. She sat before the dragon in readiness. 'Now what exactly am I to be writing?', she inquired.

'I propose to leave them a series of clues.'

Awakened, they came West. For it was Ulmo, himself, who put the longing in their hearts, that they might fulfill their part in the design.

Came they, then, by his hidden rede,to the foot of steep hills, and these hills made a great circle wherein lay a wide plain, and set therein, not rightly at the midmost but rather nearer to that place where they stood, was a great hill with a level top, and upon that summit rose a city in the new light of the morning.

'Should I put that in quotes?!' chided Pio. 'It sounds very familiar.'

'It's from those series of untold tales, as you well know.' said Angara. 'I think, as an elder creature I might take some liberties in using them.'

'As you wish!', said Pio, smiling.

Where have we come, they asked their unseen guide, and he replied: Rejoice that you have found it, for behold before you the City of Seven Names where all who war with Melko may find hope.

What be those names? 'Tis said and 'tis sung:
Stone Song; City of the Dwellers in Stone; Garthoren - Fenced Fort; Loth-a-laden - Lily of the Plain; Gwarestrin - Tower of the Guard; Ardholen - the Fenced Realm; Ondolindë - The Rock of the Music of Water.

'Hmmm . . . I don't recall that exact list.' mused Pio.

'Well, I try to keep my eyes and ears open to new interpretations as they come up.' explained Angara.

The Capture

Lo! The sun had set and all was dark, a new light suddenly began, and a glow there was, but it was beyond the northward heights, and men marvelled, and there was a thronging of the walls and battlements. Then wonder grew to doubt as that light waxed and became redder, and doubt to dread as men saw the snow upon the mountains dyed as it were with blood. And thus it was that the fire-serpents of Melko came down upon the city.

The dragon's voice had stopped; she shook her head in sorrow.

'That is enough for now.' she said. 'Post them about the ship where they will be easily seen.'

'And Pio, get your map case out.'