View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #328
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Marcho's face turned red with rage and he scowled at Lily's back before whirling back to the counter. He saw that Ruby stood not too far away, eyeing him carefully and waiting for his reaction. He took three deep breaths and then muttered to her, his voice filled with restrained anger, "Did you hear what she said to me?"

"Yes," said Ruby, "and I apologize for hearing, as perhaps it might be considered eavesdropping. I do think she's right, you know."

"It's different because Posco is my little cousin."

"How is it different because he's your little cousin? Isn't he still your friend, and don't you still want to help him? In fact you should feel more obligated to help him because he's your relative."

Marcho's whole form was trembling with rage but he restrained himself and waved Ruby away. "Go back to the table where that Falco is," he said. "I think you're needed more there than you are here. And besides, you might find them more of pleasant company that I, a grouchy, mean old hobbit." He felt a sudden and strange sadness come over him as he remembered the way he had studied Bingo before, and how the latter always looked at everyone kindly while he was exactly that... a grouchy, mean old hobbit. He hoped his thoughts did not show on his face. He would not want Ruby to notice. She did not stay any longer but went back to Falco's table. Marcho sat in a chair by the counter and buried himself in his own anger and resentment.

Posco was immensely relieved that no one had been angry at him for his questions, and he straightened about the slightest bit. He felt comforted by Lily's presence, the presence of another hobbit who spoke kindly to him and tried to comfort him. As he looked into her smiling face he suddenly thought that she was rather pretty like most hobbit lasses, and he become suddenly aware of his dishevelled hair, his torn clothes, and his muddy face. He cast a glance towards Blanco, smooth and sociable and very neat and tidy, listening with wide eyes to the tales of the adventurers at the other table. He began feeling miserable again and stared weakly at Lily, muttering in a voice barely audible, "You must think me an awful sight."