View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #32
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yregwyn View Post
No bridge it would have more then likely been over in minutes.
Maybe, or perhaps not.

After they had fell into the cold lake, so cold it almost stopped Gandalf's heart, the balrog's "fire was quenched" and did not ignite again until they reach the summit of Celebdil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT, bk. 3, ch. 5, p. 125
Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame
Remember, the balrog was essentially fighting without a weapon after they fell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, bk. 2, ch. 5, p. 392
From out of the shadow a red sword leaped flaming.

Glamdring glittered white in answer.

There was a ringing clash and a stab of white fire. The Balrog fell back and its sword flew up in molten fragments.
So it is said as they clash deep beneath the mountain, "ever he clutched at me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels" [TTT, ch. 5]. It appears to me as though this is not just 1 minute of sparring, rather a prolonged encounter before the balrog fled all the way up the mountain.

Even before their physical encounter recall Gandalf's exclamation to the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, ch. 5, p. 387-388
I have met my match, and have nearly been destroyed... You will have to do without light for a while: I am rather shaken... The counter spell was terrible. It nearly broke me... I have never felt so spent, but it is passing.
The encounter left him totally winded. He could not even make a light for them in the dark. I'd figure the battle could have gone either way.

Finally they both let loose on the precipice, which neither walked away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT, bk. 3, ch. 5"
Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightning, they said, smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire... A greatsmoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountainside where he smote it in his ruin. Then the darkness took me
These do not seem to be quick encounters. Gandalf says, "Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm." A one or two minute long storm? I think not. Also He says, "I have never felt such a challenge" [FotR, bk. 2, ch. 5].