View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #41
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

FerniesApple has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
I wouldn't blame Elijah Wood for the failures of Frodo or the movies - that would be like blaming Hayden Christensen for the dreck that are the Star Wars prequels. Wood could only do what he was asked and what was in the script.

In other posts I renamed the movie Frodo as "Frodo Baggage," as the character always seems to be being carried by others. In the books he seems to be much more self-reliant.

What scenes from the movies or from the books do you feel show Frodo in a better light?

- Of course I like when he takes a swipe at the Witch-King on Weathertop.

- "Go back to the land of Mordor and follow me no more!" at the Fords of Bruinen.

- The scene where Frodo is shown to be both soft and stern (in Sam's eyes) when dealing with Gollum and the Ring.

- His shrewd interactions with Faramir.

In the movie I do like when he and Sam are awaiting death on Mount Doom, before the Eagles appear. The look on his face when the entire Minas Tirith crowd turns to him (and his three companions) is excellent.
Hayden Christensen is a Wooden actor, Wood can act and emote.
As for the 'Go back to the land of Mordor' its a bit silly, I didnt like it when I read it for the first time in the book. Its probably the only line in the Whole of the books that doesnt sit well for me. Soft and stern, yep he is like that in the film too. The only real difference between MF and BF are one or two ineffectual swipes at Ringwraiths, the lack of which does not mean that MF is suddenly a wimp. We didnt get the Barrow scenes so we dont know how that would have panned out.