View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #1272
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Last weekend several Barrow-downers were able to get together in NYC to explore the Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth exhibit that was put on at the Morgan Library. It was an amazing exhibit, and good to see some friends I don't know half as well as I should like. Including meeting the 3rd Downer baby, William.

The question being, is William named after?
A. William Huggins
B. Bill the Pony
C. Bill Ferny

It began Thursday, with Wilwa flying in and then me a few hours later. Then we went to Encataire's and Jon's (who has a BD account by I forget what it is) new place. A more homely place than their previous one, with prime real estate (for a metropolitan area) - access to a roof top, complete with a grill and outdoor furniture.

Friday the 4 of us went to the New York Public Library and we had the most excitable, lovely tour guide Karen. You can tell she loved the library and the subject, she was full of wonderful stories and knowledge about the library, which just made it a fun experience (despite the dreary rain that day). Then Friday night, we went out to hear Enca's Funkrust Brass Band which was like no other brass band I've ever heard or seen and they were a blast. We returned and now joined by Form, Nienna and a sleeping William who came in Friday night.

Front Row: Myself, William, Jon
Back Row: Enca, Formendacil, Nienna, Wilwa, Celduin.
(Photographer, Celduin's husband who was also able to join us for this Saturday)

There were many highlights to this trip, but the exhibit was by far the top. There were so many people wanting to get into the exhibit, there was a feeling there just had to be other Downers there. I don't know about the others, but what stood out to me, Tolkien's artwork and map drawing, it was great to see in person. And his penmanship. Of course the exhibit had some of the cleaner examples of his writings and letters on display, but the way he wrote is like an art form on it's own, so tiny, but so precise and beautiful.

Then the group went out to Central Park, since after the previous day was a bit dreary and soggy, but Saturday was sunny, warm and beautiful. It was the first time wilwa and I had been to Central Park, I'm not sure about any one else.

Even though it's a rather crummy picture of me, it's a really good one of baby Wiliam, so after some encouragement and approval to post, the "Back bench boys" of Central Park:

Wilwa and I stayed for a few extra days after, to explore some other places in NYC (and have a nice barbecue on Enca's and Jon's roof top). And I would probably be in trouble if I failed to mention their adorable dog Topanga, she is a sweetheart (and I hate to say it to Form and Nienna, but she perked up over the next few days after the baby left ).

One of the last things I was glad Jon and I were able to do, was go to the NY Natural History Museum and see the new Titonosaurus dinosaur they discovered. That museum being another place that's a must see if you're in NYC. I tried to get a panorama, but this dinosaur was so huge, they didn't even have a room large enough contain it in (part of the head and neck were poking out the doorway of the room it was in. It really gets you thinking about ancient cultures, and the myths that were inspired if those peoples came across remains of dinosaurs, and mammoths, and 40 feet alligator fossils.

Last edited by Boromir88; 04-12-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote