View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 09:20 PM   #21
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

davem

Quote:
Yes, in that it involves effort, struggle, application, but that's not necesarily 'bad'.
I guess I would have chosen a different word, but that is probably just me.J

Quote:
Sam goes through a 'workhouse' experience of his own, through Mordor, & what he achieves at the end of his journey is not 'salvation' either, because LotR is not about the workings of 'salvation' either, & neither does it end in 'eternal rest', just more, (but better) work.
Well, actually, in the end Sam does go to Valinor. I think that Sam might be more easily equated with Parish, who remained in Niggle’s Parish after Niggle departed. Am I suggesting that Frodo might be more easily equated with Niggle, well, maybe. (Don’t hold me to that though.)

Fordim

Quote:
I could not agree with you more, dm when you argue that “Leaf by Niggle” is about subcreation rather than salvation. The latter is too allegorical, and we all know how Tolkien felt about that, while the former is more applicable.
I am unconvinced that changing the subject matter to sub-creation makes the story any less allegorical. To my mind it is perhaps less high-flown, but no less allegorical. Could you elaborate?