View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #250
Magpie

Only Amrûn n'Anor, Annûn n'Ithil. is sung at 5:17... in this track anyhow.

The whole thing is sung (in English) in Use Well the Days.

The music that was heard at the Breaking of the Fellowship was named by the group I hung with as "The Wisdom of Gandalf." I think our analysis of it would probably differ from Shore's and I have yet to read Doug Adams' notes on this. But it's actually used in a couple of places. You can read what I wrote here: Wisdom of Gandalf

I have sound files of that final music heard as Sam returns to the Shire that I'd like to share if that's acceptable. I don't share music that is available commercially but this isn't, except on the movie DVDs and I'm going to assume you all have those. But I don't know the policies of this board so I'll ask first. For me, that music was as sweet as anything in the Grey Havens. When that green door closes and the words "The End" come up (you might note that 'the end' is not used in the other two movies) well... it's hard. The words, "I'm back" used to move me to sobbing when I read the book. I'm not sure why. But in that moment in the movie, I am 100% connected to the movies, the books, and my personal relationship to them which is deep. It is bliss.

The End of All Things is filled with dramatic tension and ROTK is emotionally wrenching. I think by time I get to the Grey Havens, I'm spent and the music knows it. It goes easy on us.... not so much in that it's soothing or comforting. But more that it just doesn't demand our souls. I think PJ and HS know that we have to return to the real world soon and they're gently preparing us. (Someone commented on this for the previous track and I totally agree.) When ROTK plays in my ears at bedtime, I usually fall asleep pretty quickly but wake at The End of All Things. I'm there for it and ROTK.. but by the Grey Havens, I'm starting to drift back to sleep. All will be okay. Maybe not right now... but in time. I think it's brilliant psychology.

(Hope this makes some sense. I've been up late on a project and am exhausted. But just can't turn away from a soundtrack post that I can contribute to. Night all.)