View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #132
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Return of the King winning the Oscar for Best Picture was one of the greatest moments of my life!!!! I honestly felt like I was a part of something bigger. Did anyone else feel that? I somehow felt suddenly connected to all the Tolkien fans around the world, when Peter started thanking the fans. It was the greatest feeling in the world! I was left nearly in tears because of it!

I was sitting there, hanging onto the edge of my seat, while Return of the King was winning all of those Oscars. True, it really deserved Best Editing, Best Score, Best Costume, etc., but the real clinchers were Best Directing and Best Picture. I'm so incredibly proud of Peter, Fran, Philippa, the cast, and all of the crew. They were absolutely amazing people!

Return of the King did not win this Oscar for itself. It won it for all the other fantasy films that the Academy ignored in the past, like the Star Wars trilogy. This Oscar was for them too.

This victory is our Battle of the Pelennor Fields, a beacon of hope, to shine forevermore.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote