View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #27
I_Nauro_Agarithil
Newly Deceased

I_Nauro_Agarithil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
I think that "theory" (it's naught but people having a bit of fun, not a serious suggestion or something Professor Tolkien ever wrote) has been banging around the web for a while now.

Evidently if he'd had more time he would have said "Fly, you fools! Rush the ring to Mount Doom on an eagle you have no way of contacting so that you can be easily discovered by Sauron!"

I know it's just a joke but I still think it's spawned by people's poor appreciation and understanding of the book as well as of archaic uses of language.
In my opinion it's not a poor appreciation nor a poor understanding of neither the story nor the use of "old-fashioned" language, but just someone's fantasy sky-rocketing if you will. As I said yesterday I just read it online and I wanted to be sure if it's really true or not, merely because I like taking such things into consideration.

I guess you may be right about the first part, that it were just (for example) a bunch of friends coming up with some theory just for a good laugh on friday evening or something. I guess I'm relieved to hear this theory wasn't Tolkien's own idea on the story. Ah well at least it gave me something to think about for the time being.
I_Nauro_Agarithil is offline   Reply With Quote