View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #138
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Impressionism era

Someone must defend, you say?
I'll try my hand, than.

Your Honour, respected Jury!

The paragraph presented by sir Prosecutor is, on its large, presenting respected sir's impression. Defense must rely on age old practice of fighting fire with fire, your Honour, and present the Jury with just another impression, with your kind permission.

If we rely on wider range of sources than LoTR, we'll see Gandalf, or, as he is known to some, Olórin is professional conjurer of mental images... oft he walked among them unseen, or in form as one of them, and they did not know whence came the fair visions or the promptings of wisdom... what baggage? No, your Honour, I do not think you should accept respected Prosecutor's protest, as the sources I refer to are all placed within the bounds of Middle Earth's secondary world... All right, your Honour, let me shift an angle than...

Gandalf, even if we look through evidence presented by LoTR, and LoTR only, is a professional narrator, and his goal, frequently, is production of certain reaction in his audience. More often than not he provides all kinds of information and does so without relating data provided to his own direct action or participation in the events recounted, seeking positive emotional reaction of his listener. Good example is the story of the Ring he provides Frodo with at latter's premises in Bag End:

Quote:
In Eregion long ago many Elven-rings were made, magic rings as you call them, and they were, of course, of various kinds: some more potent and some less. The lesser rings were only essays in the craft before it was full-grown, and to the Elven-smiths they were but trifles
Not does he rely on prose narration only, but often draws in his wide education in contemporary poetry in conjuring up desired reaction in his audience:

Quote:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie
He does similar thing on Last Debate:

Quote:
Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary. Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule
Yes, your Honour, I'll proceed in essence in a minute, and I'm sure I can show how does all I've been telling you up to now relate to Gandalf's case at the Council of Elrond

What Gandalf does at the Council, is an effort to convey the danger Saruman (who is an entity yet unknown to the most part of the audience) presents.

He starts off recounting who Saruman was, and who is now become. Though information may have been conveyed in direct dialogue, direct dialogue would have been devoid of feeling Gandalf is trying to stir, but present bare data.

Quote:
It cannot be reached save by passing the circle of Isengard; and in that circle there is only one gate.
Produces ominous premonition, feeling of something magical, dangerous and impassable. It does imply Gandalf has passed it, but it also implies passage was a deed not many would dare, somehow adding up to his repute as dangerous and cunning wizard himself.

Quote:
I came to Orthanc, passing through the lone gate in the circle of Isengard, for it cannot be reached any other way.'
Ruins the carefully built image of secret and ancient wizardry, wondrous might of Númenor, kingdom mentioned during the council for the first time in the narration, I believe (apart from prologue, were it may have slipped reader's attention), If 'I' passed the gate that easily, why should others meet any obstacle? Such an emotion is undesirable to Gandalf than and there.

Finally, Defense has no other way but to conclude the way Gandalf assumes 'narrator's role' is just natural style for him on important occassions. Whilst he may be dark and secretive when directly questioned, he comes out ominous and even 'legendary' and 'mythical' on committee meetings and military briefings.

Respected Jury, presenting Defense's impression to match that of sir Prosecutor's, we plead the case of the Defendant, and are sure you will make the right decision, ladies and gentlemen!

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 06-08-2005 at 01:12 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote