View Single Post
Old 08-06-2002, 02:43 PM   #25
Feanaro
Haunting Spirit

Feanaro has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Feanaro
Silmaril

Actually I have read all of The Silmarillion, over a dozen times--which is how I'm able to continue to prove parts of your notions wrong.
Quote:
"In it, both Ecthelion and Glorfindel kill balrogs, althhough it costs them their lives."
Firstly, Balrogs are not your typical Maiar, so we should leave them out of this discussion entirely. I'm not going to go into this, as it has been gone into before, so I will merely post the link for your reading pleasure: Balrogs DO have wings!

Look at obloquy's post on the second page near the bottom.
Quote:
"Again, in the first war Morgoth is beating the entire Valar until Tulkas enters the fight."
Of course he did! Melkor started out as the most powerful Ainur, or did you forget that? He possessed a share in the workings and gifts of all of his bretheren. He does lose some of his potency during the creation of his forces, which is why he does grow weaker over time, good job on that part. However, he started out as the mightiest, which means he has much more power to be able to lose before he eventually equalled the other Valar. Hopefully my idea has been expressed fully enough, although I have a great fear that I will have to elaborate on this further.

Quote:
"Saruon fights against 5 people, not 2. Gil-Galad, Elrond, Cirdan, Elendil and Isildur."
Really? I bet you found that in The Silmarillion?
Quote:
"But at last the siege was so strait that Sauron himself came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell."
Hmmm. I wonder which book I got that quote from. Some reading might help to improve my knowledge indeed!
Quote:
"The point is that there is no 'bad guy' tougher than Morgoth at the height of his power."
Of course, but no one is trying to prove you wrong (on that point at least). Melkor at the height of his power is more mighty than all the Ainur. Tolkien said that himself, and it would be folly to try and argue with the author. Notice that I never mentioned that Sauron at his height was more powerful that Melkor at his height. Given Melkor's status, I would think that it's a given.
'See half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls.' -Feanor, threatening Fingolfin with his sword. ~Moderator of the Mordor RPG.~
Feanaro is offline   Reply With Quote