View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 12:19 PM   #92
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
Elvellon, please excuse my late answer. Yes, CE-EX-05.5 was removed because all that was said in that passage is repeated in what we inserted in CE-EX-25. Beside that, I think it would be strange from a storyline perspective if Oromė would first name the Quendi Eldar, before they ask him his name and the name of his horse. As we put the passages together, Oromė is first asked his name and that of his horse, then we give the name that Elves gave to themselves, implying that Oromė would have ask that in return and then we add the information that he named them Eldar (with the implicit logic, that they after meeting him, would recognise that they are not the only speaking beings and couldn’t use that as a name any longer). A similar story line argument can be made about the love of Oromė to the Elves, that is in our version told in CE-EX-25 and not in CE-EX-05.5.

Arvegil145, to be a bit more precise, you would wish that the project would take up the sentence from AAm where Menelmacar is named ‘a sign of Tśrin Turambar, who should come into the world’.
The project discussed about the return of Tśrin from the dead that was proposed alternatively for the War of Wrath or the Last Battle. We decided against that, as the later ideas about the fate of Men would hardly allow that. (It would be a miracle => a direct invention of Eru and as that unforeseeable.)
Now in the sentence you proposed the connection is not made as directly as in what we rejected, but I still think it is saver to let it out.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: The argument about which group of people are the source of information, has not any weight in the project, as long as we don’t implement a direct statement about it. Long ago the project decided that we are not trying to create any text that proposed to have a Middle-earth equivalent. That means as long as we are not directly indicating that the information given in our text is ‘tainted’ by the way it was recorded, the information we provide have to be as true as possible to what the project finds to be the true story of Middle-earth.
But there are numerous references to the idea of Mannish (Numenorean) transmission in the project as a whole!

And as for Turin 'returning from the Doom of Men': as per one of the notes to Tolkien's commentary on the Athrabeth, the 'myth' appearing at the end of the Silmarillion (which this subforum still names 'The Second Prophecy of Mandos') is essentially a Mannish prophecy.

So I don't really see any problems with including 'Mannish garblings/myths' into the wider TNS.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote