View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 06:39 PM   #291
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl’s face was grim as he considered what Gramil had just told him. His grey eyes narrowed, and he looked at his companion closely. He put aside polite convention and spoke directly.

‘You speak almost lightly of what must be loathsome to you, my friend. Is that your personal style when faced with such a repugnant subject, or do you seek to shield me from something further? Do you fear what we may find, when we find Garlin and Ethar? Or do you think that we may not find them at all?’ Gramil’s face gave no answer to the Dalesman’s questions.

Jarl brought his mount to a halt. ‘I’ll go no further until we have some sort of plan in place between us. I do not know the nature of the relationship between you and the young man, Ethar. But Garlin is my assistant. I have a certain responsibility to him and to the family which entrusted him to my care. Beyond that, he is a Dalesman, and as the representative of Dale, I am accountable for his safekeeping.’ He looked east through the thick cover of trees, and sought to pierce it with his gaze. ‘He is my friend, too.’ he said quietly. ‘I have grown quite fond of him. I would not lose him.’

He turned his gaze on Gramil. ‘You know the area. You will find me a willing listener. What shall we do?

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]