View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #411
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Gwerr

“I agree with the point… It’s taking too long.” Gwerr glanced at Ishkur and then turned to Makdush again. “So how about you wonderboys get together and we’ll do some climbing?”

Gwerr turned around to see that Colagar was still releasing the last orcs so he addressed two of those already freed. “Zuhut and Griwzan! Come here climb on the backs of these wizard-children. I will then climb on you. Gimme a hand Ishkur.” With that he went to search for the ropes he deemed the most intact and winded them into a coil.

The three Uruks formed a circle beside the wall and took firm grips from each others shoulders. Zuhut and Griwzan got on top of their shoulders and grasped each other tightly. Finally Gwerr climbed up aided by Ishkur and Colagar who had now untied the last orcs.

Gwerr crawled carefully towards the grating and took a look. There was indeed quite a heated debate going on. Someone was talking about using them as baits to the Olog-hai. Olog-hai? Weren’t those brainless brutes out of this world already? But I can see their point now… They might kill an Olog or possibly two if they can trap them and using us as a bait then is not so bad idea… So, we must get out of here! The sooner the better.

Just as Gwerr was turning back to crawl to the brink he froze. Chills were going through him as he looked back outside. It was an old man whose voice and presence radiated something Gwerr hadn’t encountered for a long time. It was a power, It was something that did not come from the flesh of the gamling. That’s no mortal man… whatever it is. First an elf, then Olog-hai and now this… You’ve been in tight spots before my lad but this is not looking nice either.

Gwerr’s brain worked now quickly as he started planning how they could escape and fast. Fear paralyses most people and orcs but some get an extra boost from it. Gwerr clearly belonged to the latter group. Without that quality he probably wouldn’t have lived through the centuries he had. Although his full concentration on the task at hand totally numbed his ears and so he had no idea how the discussion developed outside.

Soon Gwerr noticed some good news. Our weapons are there just beside the gaging. Too far to reach from here but after we break the grating they are just a leap away. They really seem to be confident we’d stay down there… Gwerr smiled and went back to work. Slowly and quietly he tied the three ropes he had with him to the very bottom of the bars of the grating and carefully scraped some mud to cover the knots so that if someone glanced towards the grating he would not notice anything out of the usual. Surely if someone was to come and take a closer look their plot would be revealed immediately but they had no choice now. The humans were going to use them as baits to the Ologs and they’d have to escape now.

After finishing with the ropes Gwerr crawled back to the brink and threw the other ends of the ropes down. He himself glided down one of them to the pit.

“Okay mates. Good news and bad news. The good ones are that our weapons are just beside the gacing outside. We’ll pull ourselves up and charge the grating, leap to our weapons and run for it. We should split in pairs or something and meet somewhere farther away.” With that Gwerr glanced quickly at Ishkur who nodded inconspicuously to show him that he had gotten Gwerr’s idea. They still had their horse and the treasure it carried to pick up.

“The bad news are that the human trash seem to be in their right minds even if some here suspected otherwise…” Gwerr looked at Makdush and grinned. “The problem is that there seems to be an Olog or two somewhere around… at least that’s what they speak. And they’re going to use us as baits. And to top it…” Gwerr made a pause to hammer down the point.

“There is not just the elf but there is also an old man I could bet my life is no man. I’ve seen enough these timeless creatures to identify one when I see one. The problem is I haven’t a faintest about what he might be… But whatever he or it is I’d rather take my chances escaping him and the slaves than face the Ologs as a bait.”