View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #134
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
Only because he said "not even Elrond" means that Galadriel is inferior to him?!?! There could be thousand reasons. I donīt know the context, but maybe they were in Rivendel at this point when gandalf said it and he said it to be poilte and respectful to the lord of the house. The most obvious reason could be, that they dot know Galadriel yet. If he wold say "not even Galadriel" they wold have no idea who he is referring to. Unless the conversation takes place after they went through Lorien, then my argument would be moot.
That tiny bit is hardly the prove of him being superior.
Gandalf has no problem referring to people Frodo has not heard of like Saruman. Anyway besides that there is the other quote again specifically saying EVEN ELROND. Twice when it comes to foresight Elrond is placed before Galadriel.
Quote:
You can not provide any quote which says explicitly that he has the greatest foresight save Cirdan or that he is called by Tolkien "the greatest loremaster"
I have already provided you the quote showing he was the greatest lore master. Here it is again. I feel like I am just repeating myself.

This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the elves of a far norther dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters." -LOTR
Quote:
Only because he symbolises ancient wisdom and his hose represents Lore, doesnīt mean that he is the wisest person in ME, that would belong to Cirdan, or even Celeborn, if we can believe Galadriel or that he is the greatest loremaster, cause he is never called "the greatest loremaster of ME" Rivendell just happens to contain the most important artefacts of the past, therefore his house represents lore.
Galadriel would to have acces to that lore, being often in Rivendell and even in Valinor she was eager to learn everything what the Valar cold teach her, wanted to learn even more, one reason she left Aman and then went on lerning with Melian. I dobt her thrist for knowlege vanished.
I have already shown you a quote showing he is the greatest lore master. Provided many other quotes saying he alone remembered the ancient stories etc.
[QUOTE]
I never said that he was baned, I just thought that he was counciled to go to Aman, but I couldnīt find it, so it is probably not canon.
But in this quote he doesnīt differ, but still Elrond was among the elves who were welcome to go west.[?QUOTE]
Elrond was one of the Half-elven. You seem to miss this fact. How do you think his children were allowed to stay in Middle Earth until he left if the Valar did not wish for him to remain?
Quote:
"Elrond much like Cirdan seemed to have had a special mission to stay in Middle Earth."

Sure, Elrond had his purpose and the Valar were happy to have him in ME, but the same could be said of Galadriel.
IMHO you make Elrond too special.
Many elves had their part in overthrowing Sauron. Without Galadriels aid the quest would have failed, the Valar were aware of that and for all her efforts she was pardoned and honoured by the Valar.
Yes many people helped in the overthrowing of Sauron including Galadriel and this was why her ban was overturned. The situation is different from Elrond, who seems to have remained to help assure in the age of Men.
Quote:
It says a kind of enchanted sanctary, that gives me the impression, that the "enchanted term" rather refers to Rivendell, but more to the atmosphere that was special, in contrast to the unconquerable borders like it is said when speaking about Galadriels realm.
I donīt get the feeling that it refers to the same power that surrounded and safed Lorien.

Tolkien is here again very ambiguous, he doesnīt go further into detail, itīs not as convincing than the quote regarding Galadriel and Lorien who would only fall if Sauron comes there in person.
Do you have any idea what happened in the 2nd age? Sauron came in person to Rivendell and could not overthrow it. In fact he decided to go and destroy Lindon, because he STILL could not destroy Rivendell.

Rivendell is special, because Elrond dwells there. You simply don't want to see all the evidence indicating Elrond was the greater power.
Quote:
Yes, later on Elwing was still able to fly but only due to the spell Ulmo put over her, that would last forever, or at least as long as he intends.
I donīt think that she was transformed one time and by sheer good fortune was later able to do it all alone. IMHO it was Ulmos gift to her.
Therefore it doesnīt show her innate power, it would have been if she was doing it without Ulmo at all, like Luthien, when she was shapeshifting. But Ulmo could probably make it for every elf possible to turn into a dowe and then back to elf. I donīt think it ever happened again, so that makes her special, the only elf who can fly.
Have you actually read what happened? Ulmo once turned her into a swan, but later in Aman she spoke with the birds.

"And it is said that Elwing learned the tongue of birds, who herself had once worn their shape; and they taught her the craft of flight, and her wings were of white and silver-grey. And at times, when Eärendil returning drew near again to Arda, she would fly to meet him, even as she had flown long ago, when she was rescued from the sea. Then the far-sighted among the Elves that dwelt in the Lonely Isle would see her like a white bird, shining, rose-stained in the sunset, as she soared in joy to greet the coming of Vingilot to haven."
-Silmarillion

Just like with Luthien the power comes from her innate strength.
Quote:
That would be nice.
'equal beings'*
*[marginal note] All rational minds/spirits deriving direct from Eru are equal-in order and in status-though not necessarily 'coeval' or of like original power.
-Morgoth's Ring
Quote:
Yes she can.
Not in the way you are implying. She could flashes of images with not sound and that is all.
Quote:
So she has absolutly control over her mirror, she can see in the mirror the past crystal clear, (that is a better tool to lore than everything that is archieved in Rivendel) present anyway, and the future, but there she knows that she has to be careful if she wantīs to act on that, cause that again could change the future, cause IMHO the future is variable.
So she is able to see the future, while Elrond it "just" stated to have forsight but never is he, so that no question is left, stated as second to Cirdan regarding forsight.

If you ask for the greatest of the Noldor, then you have quotes which are definite, there is no discussion (actually there is, but that is not the point, Tolkien said so and thatīs all what matters).
Regarding Elrond coupled with forsight and greatness in lore, those definite quotes are not existent. The quotes you provided are arguable, cause not one actually states that "Elrond is second to Cirdan in foresight and the greatest loremaster in ME".

I have no problem to be put right, if I missed something.
The quotes are all before you and you can make up your own mind. I have shown that Elrond was not one one of the Noldor or even the Eldar, he was one of the Half-Elven and consistently implied or stated to have the greatest power. No point arguing when all the facts are now bare.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote