View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I'm actually just waiting for the right moment to watch FOTR again. I've been re-reading the book, and it's got me in a Middle-earthy mood. It's just hard to find the time to watch a 3-hour movie, or even to read a few chapters in a day. :P

STW, what do you mean by that Wilde quote? It's very disillusioned for my tastes. I don't see anything wrong with hoping FOTR will be magical when you watch it again. Nor do I see anything wrong with looking for comfort or catharsis or whatever in a movie. After all, the way I see it, the LOTR movies show a kind of truth and integrity rarely found these days...and because of this, they inspire the same kind of truth in the audience. It's possible to live the opposite kind of life to what Wilde is talking about, and to still want the LOTR movies to be the same. I'm doing it.

I've been trying to say something here in response to the original topic, but I had a hard time with it, I think because it lies too close to the person I am for me to objectively define it...but here goes with a rather weak attempt...

I think that the trick is to see that you're not exactly the same anymore...but the movie is going to be exactly the same. But that that's allright, and it shouldn't have to be anything different than it is in that moment. Instead of trying to see it through old eyes, watch it through the new ones. I think that the dissatisfaction happens when you try to reconcile what you know it SHOULD be with what it is.

Or perhaps it has to do with knowing what it was in you that made you wonder at the FOTR movie...and then reviving it and holding onto it, or never letting go of it in the first place.

*sigh* It's not coming together for me. Perhaps someone will get my drift.