View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Have you read LotR out of order on readings after the first time?
Most of the time out of order, although this latest time, I forced myself to start from the beginning and go from there. Last year, I found myself constantly picking up The Two Towers and reading from "The Uruk-Hai," following Pippin in particular through his experiences in Fangorn and at Isengard. I think the Ents are the main cause of this, since I live in a place surrounded by many thick patches of tree-growth, and I believe the Ents are sending me psychic messages...(that last bit was facetious--before you white coat guys start over here with the tranquilizer gun!)

It is interesting that you had somewhat of a difficult time going through the journey through the Emyn Muil to Ithilien, lmp, as I seem to remember Tolkien had to write around that part and go back to it ("tackling the journey of Frodo to Mordor," as I remember a turn of phrase from the Professor concerning the writing of this part.)

My husband says the Passage of the Marshes is his least favorite part of LOTR, but he only says it 'drags,' and he can't get through it. I suppose the effect is an apt one! I am currently through the first journey to the Black Gate, and the Spring growth and 'dishevelled dryad loveliness' of Ithilien really has an impact after all that.

I can also see why you would go directly from Book Three to Book Five, as the story continues on one line without the jarring complete switch of storyline. I haven't tried reading it that way, but I may do that next time I dig out the books (I've got a mounting list of non-Tolkien books waiting for me to finish this Xth reading of LOTR)...

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote