View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 07:26 AM   #55
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

That is clearly a problem.

Already in The Tale it is said that Meaglin left the protected area, which was forbidden by Turgon. So I don't think that we have a problem with Meaglin being captured with out the Eagles marking it. The Eagles would not spy on the Gondolindrim. Therefore I think they would not report any Elf leaving Gondolin to Turgon.

But an army gathering north of Gondolin to overcome the Echoriad by night would surley be reported.

Possible solutions:
- Since the enemy was fist seen at about midnight we could soupose that the army started to climb the Echoriad at sundown. That would mean that the actual approach would be under the cover of the night and not makred or reported by the eagles.

- The army was equiped with this formidable "mechanical monsters", which were super fast in their movement. So the approach was may be even much faster in the plain. Scenario: The Army was gathered under the cover of the woods of Ered Wethrin and Dorthonion. From their they needed less than half a night to reach and climb the Echoriad. (Morgoth was possibly warned by Meaglin about the eagles and theire whatch.)

May be the gahthering of an army in the area was quite normal about that time. That would mean the report of the Eagles was missinterpreted and was in that way not a proper warning.

Conclussion: We could deal with the problem if we were to write a fan-fic, but I can't see how we can do so expplicit with in given rules. That means we can only do it implicit. That could mean we should add some emphasis on the fast approach of the enemy from the hilltop unto the plain of Gondolin. Or we could use the report given of defeat of the whatcher in the Echoriad to introduce the eagles again. But I am not sure if the result would be good or even worth.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote