View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #23
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The discussion went way too deeper than I had imagined, and slightly 'beyond' my own understanding.
Books are not perfect, true. None is. Absolutely. By any means boring? Hell, no. Am I the only one who found no part boring as others did? Shire scenes are mindblowingly beautiful. You get to know, this is the race the story is mainly about. The unlikely four heroes emerge from this place whose presence affects the story greatly(One can find these chapters boring either he is only in love with 'action' or doesn't care about the Hobbits much, imho). The chapters are childish, indeed, not boring. Bilbo wrote them, and the tone of "The Hobbit" is explicit in the first chapters of the Fellowship. Though, they are relief for me, because the later story becomes darker.
As for the book 3 & book 5, i.e. Rohan and Gondor's story. That isn't boring either. True, it doesn't have the magic that we got in FOTR, but it still tells the tale of EPIC freaking awesome battles. Professor wrote books multiple times and finished it in 10 years. He added many things that most of us can't understand or judge on our own. This is why putting our opinion above Professor's, I don't think, is fine(may be that's just me!).

Tom Bombadil!
Yup, he's a weirdo. There's an article saying he is evil. Another thing to add, if someone finds books boring, I guess it is because of his or her personal opinion, and the books can't be accused for that.