View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 01:54 AM   #13
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I agree with Evisse that the proper term for this is lust. Love, desire, and lust may be quite similar terms, but lust alone has a negative connotation. Negative, because they resorted to evil in order to gain what they wanted.

However, I believe that Morgoth and Gollum are in two different cases altogether. Morgoth was so desperate for revenge (and rebellion) when he took the Silmarils that he endured the pain they caused him. He knew that as he suffered, the Valar and the Elves - those whom he hated - suffered with him because of, ironically, the Silmarils' absence and corruption in their Enemy's hands. On the other hand, I think mark12_30's suggestion of addiction is Gollum's situation. He knows he has no power over the Ring and he can do nothing with it, as opposed to the damage indirectly caused by Morgoth's possession of the Silmarils (and Morgoth is powerful!), but he has this running in his mind the whole time: "The Ring is ssso beautiful, m'Preciousss." He is probably unaware of the "political (and whatever else) implications" of the Ring's being on his finger, but hey, "the Ring is so perfect to my sight, I don't care! I want it and I should have it...at all costs!"
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote