Thread: Discord Server
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Soriman, I think you put up a good defense of Discord. As someone who had no idea what it is, I think you made a good case. However, as you say in the end, what does it have to offer that the Downs doesn't? Being popular? With me personally, popularity ranks so low among a list of reasons to do something, it's almost a nagative factor. We already have a way to stay in touch on a themed site, with members and mods and admins having different permissions. Why switch? Moreover, those of us who were here for a while are very attached to this particular site - it's layout, format, colours, all of it. Why would we go elsewhere?

As for the spam, I think you speak from ignorance on that count. The reason the Downs is not overrun by spammers now is not that a group of people didn't yet choose to come here and wreak havoc, as you seem to imply, but because of a lot of hard work from the admins in making the site security so. There used to be quite a few spammers around and had to be cleaned up one bh one before BW and team adjusted the "entry requirements" to the site" to a much more individualized screening process. So the idea that if it works here it will work anywhere does not necessarily stand.