View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #253
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield ROHAN COMPANY: Liornung

Liornung walked by Bellyn and Argeleafa, gazing about him as well as keeping watch on them. He would not care for either of them to wander off and become lost... perhaps wander to some other Elf who would not deal with them as kindly as the Elves in their company had. But, nay, he had always heard that Elves were kindly creatures. Yet to find two mortals wandering about in their lands? Liornung shook his head. It did not matter what another Elf might do, for the young women would not become lost at all.

Argeleafa had been silent all the day, and while she seemed calm and composed she spoke very distantly with everyone. Yet she did not fool Liornung, for he often saw her when she did not know he was looking, and she gazed wistfully at the company as they talked with each other. He knew how much she longed to join them, and again and again he had tried to invite her to speak with them, but she refused his offers every time. Perhaps it was not his acceptance she wanted. She seemed to hesitate to join them even if one was willing. It seemed as though she would not until all of them expressed their willingness. Liornung knew the others would enjoy her company, but she did not.

I wander under leaves of gold
a forest that seems young and old.
Knowing eyes and silent feet
I see in every Elf I meet.
Lothlorien, how fair are you!
Each leaf of gold glimmers true,
and the fair grass quivering
in winds through trees shivering.

"Where did you hear that song, Liornung?" Bellyn questioned. She was looking thoughtfully at him out of brown eyes. She had apparently enjoyed the song, for the traces of delight were present in her face. Argeleafa had heard the song but said nothing.

"I did not hear it," Liornung replied, "from any Man nor from Elf, but it came to me last night in a soft wind." He remembered that sweet breath of wind that had brought the song to his heart, but more than that he recalled the tears of Argeleafa, the poor little lass longing for home. He hoped their journey would end soon, for her sake at least. She wanted nothing more than to return home, but it could not be until the end of the journey. And for his sake, too! He wanted to return to the 'Inn' where all his friends awaited him. How many times he had wished for that on their roads.

"Bella," he said, and she looked up at him again, "what have you thought of our journey thus far? Have you enjoyed it as much as you thought you would, or do you find yourself longing to return home?" He paused and realized that he had only met her because she also was at the 'Inn.' It posed a new question. "And where is your home? Do you have any family where you come from?" He let his questions cease, seeing that they might be rather annoying, and looked to Ędegard. What family did that young man have besides his sister? Where did he come from? Where did he intend to go when the journey was over?

He sighed and shook his head. He had believed he had known his companions quite well, but in all truth he hardly knew them at all.