View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #277
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Aiwendil the Seer?

A curious thing happened to me last night. As I went to sleep, I was pondering Squatter's cryptic clue in the "Which Downer am I?" thread - Different Set of Circumstances Makes Suspicious Tea. The answer eluded me.

Then, in a dream, a word came to me: "Kettle". In my dream, I went to the 'Downs and did a search for a member with "kettle" in the name. But I woke up before I could find one.

It was the middle of the night. I struggled to remember what I'd just been dreaming about. "Kettle". There was once a Barrow-downer with "Kettle" in his name, wasn't there? Or was I, in my half-waking state, thinking of "RKittle"? I nearly staggered out of bed to go to the 'Downs right then, but I thought better of it, rolled over, and went back to sleep.

This morning, as usual, I stopped at the 'Downs. By this time, the dream seemed fairly silly to me, but I searched for "kettle" anyway. And there it was - a member named "Kettle of Fish". It was the solution! I raced to the "Which Downer" thread . . .

. . . to find that Mithalwen had just made that very guess and that he was right. My glory was stolen.

The moral of this story, of course, is: if you wake up from some Barrow-downs related dream, get up and go to the Downs.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote