View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 04:55 PM   #131
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The clouds broke and sunlight streamed through into the forest canopy melting the remaining snow. A great wind rose up and was only quietened by the Song of Calen. Mattius jumped back to look upon her in her glory, arched back with a voice more strong and beautiful than anything heard upon Middle-Earth for an age.

The Beast recoiled, stumbling over and falling on his back from the song and the wind. The hobbits threw large rocks that caught him between the eyes. Radagast beckoned Mattius to continue fighting. He turned around and the Beast was on his feet again but with his hands over his ears screaming in agony.

"The time is close Mattius," he shouted against the wind. "Calentoiel cannot keep him defenceless forever." Mattius nodded his head and looked around.

"But where is Rothalle Radagast? She is a part of this also!" Radagast looked around quickly but steadied himself, brushing his hair from his face.

"We must do this my friend!"

Mattius faced the Beast still paralysed in pain. He gazed at his black bottomless eyes and raised Angmarth to head height, kissing the blade.

"Manwe greatest of all Valar, give me strength to strike down our foe"

So be it Firnlord, you bring honour upon your house...

Mattius sliced down vertically with his sword, cutting a huge piece of the Beast's chest open and black maggots fell from the wound. The scream it gave off was of almost the same magnitude of Calentoliel's Song. But not quite. The Song continued. Radagast stood by Mattius' side and helped give blows to their enemy, smoting him down until he lay on the floor utterly defeated. His eyes looked up to them and then the elf and wizard were aware of something. It was silent. Slowly the silence gave way to the unmistakable sound of laughing, dark and evil laughter it was. The black shadow rose again, now more terrible than ever before. It engulfed the light and all came to darkness.

Mattius and Radagast raised their weapons regardless, they would fight to the bitter end. Without warning a black fire smote them both to their knees in terrible pain unlike any other.

"I fear this may be the end my dear friend," cried Radagast.

"Not quite yet, there is still Rothalle," replied Mattius before he fell on his front as the Beast landed another blow.

Behind them Calentoiel lay still. The hobbits tried to revive her but to no avail. Rothalle walked up behind them.

"Find a place to hide good hobbits. I will take care of my kin." As the hobbits ran off Rothalle picked up her sister and whispered in her ear. Calen awoke but was very weak. She could stand though and did so as Rothalle stood behind her with her hand on her upper back. A white glow encompassed the two of them and immediately Calen's song began again in ernest.

The Beast fell back but managed to pick himself to his feet again. The Song had stopped him before but he was stronger now, much stronger. He could defeat them now. He picked up the unconscious elf and squeezed him, breaking ribs and cutting him deep. Now it was time.

Rothalle poured her energy into Calentoiel. It wasn't enough and she knew it. She searched deep inside herself for more, she knew she could, she had to. It was more difficult than anything she had done before, a greater challenge than she had ever faced. Deep down she found a spark, something small but even the greatest fire begins with a small spark. She concentrated and the sudden rush was like an explosion inside her. She screamed as she began to sing in union with her sister and the Beast heard, it heard every part. The wind was up again, stronger than ever before.

Mattius awoke with a start in pain. The Beast still clung on to him but was walking backwards, screaming and crushing him even harder. Below him he saw a small bent figure with a staff held up chanting a mystical incarnation. He broke his ancient song to speak to Mattius.

"Now is the time, do it Mattius!"

Radagast's magic forced the Beast to loosen his grip on Mattius so that Mattius could grab Angmarth. He raised the blade high, it glowed white. The Beast looked at it in fear that he never thought possible.

"For my all that you have destroyed may your spirit surcome to eternal torture!" With that Angmarth sliced down through the neck of blackness and the Spirit of Fear was destroyed and never returned to Middle-Earth nor any of its tales.

Mattius crashed down onto the hard floor with Angmarth laying beside him as the wind died down.