Thread: Reverse Gripes
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #28
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran
I read a very good quote on this issue in a review that I think sums it up very well:

I mean, a man who stops the Hobbits being eaten, very slowly, by a tree with his power of song is just quite frankly ludicrous in this day and age. The film is already stretching the audience's suspension of disbelief as far as it can go. Hence the chaff of Bombadill is cut. He isn't relevant to the rest of the story so he can be done without.
Oh yes I was very pleased when that was chosen not be included. I recently re-read that part of the book and it seems so strange and at odds with the rest of the story.

Also on the subject of Sean Bean I remember when the cast was being announced for the movies before filming began and he was named as Boromir. I recall smiling and thinking that he would be simply perfect for the role. Boromir always came off to me as a strong, brooding and 'not too chatty' (in the company of strangers). However, get to know him and he would be smart, down to earth and fiercly defend his beliefs and friends. The role was simply made for a fellow Yorkshireman to play!!