View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #122
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
In the book he just seems very unkind to everyone.
Well, you could say this: Ugluk is also very unkind to everyone, but I hope you won't put him on level with the book-Boromir. He's not unkind just for the sake of it. He's not ungentle for the sake of being rough. He has more to his character than you put on. He's much deeper, and his motivations much more complex.

I don't believe that he was there "just to provide some drama". As I said, he is very important both plot-wise and character-wise to the story. It's like he doesn't die until the very end.

But that is just one character. Is that enough to completely ruin a read?

I first watched the movies when I was around six. My only reaction was WOW. They were cool. Not that I really understood anything, but they were cool. Shelob's lair was my favourite part, and the troll (he's not a troll! He's an orc! - I scream now) who jumped out at Frodo in Moria always scared me, even long after I knew that he was gonna do that. I probably had more impressions, but these are the only ones that I remember now.

I don't jump in my seat when the troll comes out anymore. I kinda miss that. And once I began actually understanding both the books and the movies, I came to like the book just that much more. Maybe I'm in the same situation as the almost-15-year-old-Formy, and my passion for PJ-hating will fall away. We'll see in a decade. But for now, books over movies without a doubt.

Edit: xed with Zil