View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 04:30 PM   #28
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nice to see you post again Antione. And again you make the marvellous editing work we all have clearly sometimes whished for.

Okay lets go through the List of Aiwendil:

1. Rog: I am strongly against the deletion of the character. But what is about the name? I have looked up the Quenya Lexicon, but as with Oarni it did not show any information beyond the appendix LT1. So we have "Rog" as the last form in the Tale and Q30. Or we can go back to "Rôg" as the original form in the Tale. "Rôg" seems for most of us to sound better, but "Rog" has a little bit more authority, since it is later. I am at a lose to decide anything, in that matter.

2. The Poems: The Horns of Ylmir are currently under discussion. We should give that development a bit of time. Earendel should definitely be discussed later, when we work out the chapter about Eärendils voyage.
Over all I think we could work in the moment with out both poems and add them in if we find good solutions for the emendations.

3. The tall Turgon: I would like to make at least clear that he was the tallest of all the assembly in the place of the king in Gondolin when Tuor arrived. In the Tale Tour is describe as being greater than all the Noldor, so it seems Tolkien imagined him to be tall. But here we have the statement that says that Turgon was taller than Tour and I think we should provide that information.

5. Is Gil-Galad at the Havens or on Balar?: I think we have an agreement here.

6. The Elessar: I can live with Maédhros last version of an ominous jewel-smith, but what is about stating that it was made in Gondolin:
Quote:
<LQ2 There shining fountains played, and in the courts of Turgon stood images of the Trees of old, which Turgon himself wrought with elven-craft; and the Tree which he made of gold was named Glingal, and the Tree whose flowers he made of silver was named Belthil, and the light which sprang from them filled all the ways of the city. But fairer than all the wonders of Gondolin was Idril Turgon's daughter, she that was called Celebrindal the Silver-foot for the whiteness of her unshod feet, but her hair was as the gold of Laurelin ere the coming of Melkor.
<EL [There was in Gondolin {a ... he }made this thing[ called Elessar],[ a jewel within which the clear light of the sun {should be} [was] imprisoned [and it was]{, but the jewel should be} green as leaves] and even the Noldor marvelled at it. For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt. This gem {Enerdhil gave}[was given] to Idril the King's daughter, and she wore it upon her breast] >
7. The Oarni: I think we have an agreement in that point.

Issues to be thought of again:
1. Laegolas: I have not been a member when this was discussed. (May be that was luckily for me and the project, since I hold a completely contrary view of that issue than any one else in the discussion.) The Solution you found after so much hard discussion is acceptable for me. (Since it allows still anything the reader wants it to mean.) So I say: Let's not open again that Box of Pandora!

2. The mechanical monsters: I have joined mostly too push you to the acceptance of the mechanical monsters. So I do not fear to discuss it again. But I am happy, that most of the members seems to agree with my proposal.

3. Was the Way of Escape permanently closed? Could we imagine that Turgon, an immortal being, planed to live for ever in Gondolin, what ever happened in the outside world? I don't think so.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: Woh, what a speed in the project! Have I missed something? Never mind, do not stop to think about it! Let's go on with it!
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote