View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 05:56 PM   #21
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Aylwen's post

Jacinth nodded and curtsied elegantly on her aged knees as she walked down the line of welcomers. She was in the midst of Finduilas' entourage, following the future lady of Steward-to-be Denethor. Jacinth looked up from a young man she had been chatting to and looked at Finduilas. Jacinth had been governess to Finduilas and her sister Tessa for such a long time, for what seemed like ages. Nothing made the older woman more proud than the sight of Finduilas that day, though Jacinth still thought that she would have made a better choice of dress for Finduilas.

But the girls were growing up, or perhaps it had been even longer than Jacinth realized and the two sisters were already grown up. Jacinth pushed this thought away, thinking it foolish when just the other day she had helped Tessa with her hair and Finduilas with finding proper earrings. No, Jacinth knew that the girls still needed her. Otherwise Jacinth would not have insisted on going along with the Progress to Minas Tirith.

During the party Jacinth milled around, taking special note of the decor of the room and the style of the local girl's dresses. On more than one occasion, Jacinth would discreetly wipe a gloved finger over a dresser or table and scowl at the dust that gathered on the white glove. Perhaps Jacinth could show the maids around here how to properly clean and dust.

The only words that Jacinth really spoke during the party consisted of, "Oh, I just adore your dress!", "Oh yes, I am here with Finduilas...don't you just love her hair?" and "What was that, sweet?" Jacinth was rather hard of hearing, and on more than one occasion she had jumped to the wrong conclusion thanks to her ability to only hear bits of conversations.

At one point Jacinth had meandered her way through the crowd towards Finduilas, and once the girl was done speaking to one of the ladies of Minas Tirith, Jacinth enveloped her in a light and proper hug. "I'm so proud of you, sweet." Jacinth whispered in her ear before being whisked away by one of the other Dol Amroth girls to speak to some other Minas Tirith noble.

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]