View Single Post
Old 03-23-2003, 08:54 AM   #254
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bilbo and Frodo expressed thanks to Sam, and said their goodbyes, agreeing to meet at Bag-end the next morning for an excursion to the old fishing hole. The guest room had been prepared earlier that day, with the bed neatly made up, and towels and a wash basin set alongside a pitcher of fresh water. It was only a short while later that Pippin politely excused himself and retired for the night.

Sam was left alone in the sitting room, listening for the wheels of the cart as they lumbered slowly down the lane and stopped beside the gate. When his ears picked up the familiar sound, he jumped to his feet and ran out to help Miz Rose get down from the wagon. Together, they gathered up the sleeping children within their arms and tucked them into bed.

Miz Rose came into the sitting room and awkwardly maneuvered herself into an easy chair, setting her feet up on the fireplace fender. "We had such a fine time, Sam. I enjoyed seeing everyone, and the children behaved well. I was so proud of them."

Sam looked carefully at his wife. Her face was happy, but her eyes looked tired and her body drooped. Taking care of seven hobbit children was a rich and rewarding task, but Rose had little time for resting or sitting, exactly the type of thing she needed to do more of as her time grew closer.

As if in answer to Sam's unspoken query, Rose looked over at her husband and added, "I think I'll be up to my chores in the morning if I get a good night's sleep. But I'm afraid it's getting harder to carry through all afternoon and into the evening."

Sam said nothing out loud, but began to think what he might do to ease the burden on his wife.

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]