View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 02:00 PM   #255
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

24 Lótessë (day after parties)

As the morning broke through, Maura awoke and slipped softly from the hammock. The tiny lass was still sleeping soundly in a ball, with her head tucked down near her chest. Maura was careful not to disturb the girl, but tapped a finger on Cami's shoulder and motioned for her to rise.

Together, they walked to the pond. The sky was pure and blue, with no cloud in sight, as the first rays of the sun slipped above the distant horizon that lay towards the east.

"Ever since my people trekked to Beleriand, trying to find the light, they have done it this way," Maura explained to Cami, taking her right hand in his own. "We stand and face the rising sun, and then say what is in our hearts."

"But the east...why the east? Always in lore, one faces west. Your own people trekked west, and the Elves."

"We do this beause the meaning is in the journey itself, not in the final destination. We are not Elves, however much we sometimes wish we were, to look only to the West. It is the searching of heart and mind that make us more than we are, so we vow to follow the light across the sky, wherever it leads. And we vow to take the journey together."

"Here," he whispered softly, "I will go first."

He tightened his fingers about hers and then spoke, "Cami Goodchild, I pledge my love and heart to you alone. Whatever wisdom I have, whatever goodness lies within me, these are yours to share. I promise to follow the path of the light, so that, even when our bodies are apart, may our hearts journey together."

In reply, Cami spoke these words. "In all my years in Arda, you alone have touched my heart. Though we have only this small window in time, I would not have wished my life any different. I love you, Maura Tuk. May we journey together in spirit and fight to see the light, even in days of shadow and separateness."

Maura rested his arm gently on Cami's shoulder, "May the Valar and the One who is over all bless our union." This time, there were no raucous sounds or noises to interrupt. With fingers trembling, they fell to the soft ground and drew close to one another, finding a small measure of wonder in a world where such things do not come easy.

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]