View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #256
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ferny had spent the whole night at the Pony, sipping ale and forming plans in his mind. Now he stood outside the door to Old Stoat's cottage, knocking loudly. Scowling, he bent down to rub his knee, which was still sore from Fosco's kick. "I'll get you, youngun," he muttered under his breath.

No matter how long Bill knocked, Old Stoat didn't answer. Bill was getting impatient. "Open up, Stoatie!" he called. "It's me, Ferny!"

There was still no answer.

"I know you're in there, Stoatie. Come out or I'll just ha' to go in an' get you!" Bill scowled harder. "Old Stoat, if you don't come an' open the door this minute, I'll call off the deal an' you won't get no money!"

Footsteps sounded from inside the house, but still the door did not open.

"I'll report you to the Shirriffs," said Bill, his voice sinking to a whisper. "I'll tell 'em about all those younguns you kidnapped back in Whitfurrows an' Budge Ford."

The door opened, and there stood Old Stoat.

"Were you afraid to open the door?" Ferny asked with a sneer.

"No," said Stoatie hotly. "I was finishin' off my breakfast, that's all."

Ferny stepped into the cottage and closed the door. Walking over to a chair, he sank down in it and rubbed his knee again.

"What happened to yer leg?" Stoatie asked, his voice becoming mocking. "Did ol' Baggins catch ye and give ye a beatin'?"

"You be quiet," Ferny growled. "It was a youngun… kicked me when I wasn't looking." He leaned forward. "An' Stoatie, he was the son of one of Frodo's relatives. I can have my revenge on both at the same time."

"What do ye mean? Is Frodo back?"

"He's back all right," said Ferny with a nod. "He's back. Stoatie, there's that Fosco Muddyfoot who kicked me, and then an Elf-friend of Frodo's who's gonna have twins. Ye know what I'm thinking? The same thing ye did to those two kids a couple weeks back."

"Kidnappin'?"

Ferny smiled. "I just have one question, Stoatie. I can't do it without your help. What do you say to this plan?"

Auriel's Post

Stoatie settled back in a chair by the unlit fire. He had an aptitude for anything underhand and he had found their recent activities rather to his taste. Why take candy from the baby when taking the baby itself was so much more profitable? He could see no difficultly with Ferny's plans.

There were others now working on Ferny's land and a few more seemed to be drifting in each day. Evil attracts evil. Old Stoat considered his masters idea. It was very managable now there was an increasing band of ruffians ostensibly labouring upon the land but really just waiting for the right moment to show their true colours. At least two of them had a dislike for the rumoured wealth and prosperity of the Hobbits. He smiled.

"Aye, Bill. I take to that idea, I do. As long as I gets paid I'm not too concerned what I does for me wages. If you get yer revenge on those stinking creatures well that's just fine an'dandy gov. If you can get us into that Shire I can snaffle yer a halfling bairn."

Nurumaiel's Post

"Good, good," said Ferny, but he still remained leaning forward. "Stoatie, I need you to do something for me. I need you to go to Hobbiton an' do a bit of spying for me. I plan on kidnapping real soon, but I need to know the lay of the land. Someone needs to go scout a little, an' I want you to do it."

"Who do I look for?"

"You should inquire of the whereabouts of Mr. an' Mrs. Muddyfoot. I plan to take their son. An' ask about an Elf-woman."

Stoatie looked like he was about to nod, but then he gave a little snarl and frowned deeply. "Why can't you go yerself?" he asked.

"That Mr. Bilbo spotted me, Stoatie. He didn't see me, but he was suspicious. An' that Frodo would recognize me. You, Stoatie, would just be a stranger. But keep as hidden as you can."

There was a little silence, then Old Stoat nodded. "It'll get done," he said.

"An' I'll need your help when I do the kidnapping. You're experienced at it - " he thought with a cruel smile of the previously kidnapped children " - an' this isn't just your fooling around, Stoatie." Ferny's eyes narrowed. "This is serious, an' I expect you to get the job... right. A course," he added, leaning back, "you'll have me with you."

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]