View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #262
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As the pair walked towards Bywater Pond, Sam pointed to the two large sticks his friend was carrying and chuckled, "Mr. Frodo, you must have known I was going to ask you to work with my children. You certainly came prepared." Then he muttered under his breath, "I hope Elanor and Frodo-lad won't be quite as unreasonable as that."

Frodo pulled back startled and shook his head. "Oh, no. That's not it. You're a wonderful father, and your children are a delight to be near."

There was a moment or two of silence between them, while Frodo wondered how to continue, or even if he should bring up the subject at all. Still, how would he feel if something really did happen later, and he hadn't bothered to share what he'd learned with Sam?

"You know, Sam, there's a tale behind these sticks I'd like you to hear. It's probably just nonsense, but you should be the one to judge that. If you have a minute, I promised to deliver this stick to Maura, and you can listen in as well."

By the time they reached the pond, Frodo could see Pippin at the top of the hill carrying his bucket and rod, with a small string of fish already near his side. The two hobbits turned off the path for a moment to veer towards a cluster of deserted burrows. In front of one of them, Cami and Maura sat under a shaded nook beside a small table, having a bit of tea and thick slices of bread with jam. The couple laughed and talked as they watched a tiny lass scamper back and forth from one side of the grove to the other.

Maura rose to greet them, and offered some tea which was politely accepted. Within a few moments, the two stories had been laid out. Cami explained how she and Maura had found the girl in a basket, and what they'd learned from reading the images in her head. Frodo, in turn, shared Bilbo's tale about a shadow outside Bag-end that his uncle swore was one of the big folk, and then explained why he had the sticks.

"I suppose it might be some horrible mistake," Frodo noted, "although Bilbo is usually a reliable observer."

Cami took the cudgel and thanked Frodo for the information, but looked a bit distressed to hear the news about possible prowlers in their neighborhood. Maura was quiet, but listened to every word, keeping his thoughts to himself. Ater finishing their tea, the couple said goodbye, explaining that they needed to return to the Inn to take care of business. Cami scooped up the little one in her arms. Then Maura set the girl atop his shoulders, as they headed off in the direction of the Inn.

Returning to the main path, Frodo darted a nervous look at Sam and asked what he thought of the news that Bilbo had brought.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]