View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 08:34 AM   #263
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As Cami and Maura made their way through the back door of the Inn that led directly to the kitchen, they were greeted by a distraught Buttercup whose eyes were still red and swollen from cying.

"Oh, Miss Cami, won't you help us with lunch? Cook's upset and can't do any work." After making this request, Buttercup hastily blurted out her news about the bandits and how they had come to Whitfurrows and Budge Ford, kidnapping two of the children there.

Cami's face blanched at hearing these words. It was one more disturbing piece of a puzzle whose meaning was becoming all too clear. She promised to return and help in the kitchen once she'd had a chance to talk with Piosenniel and Mithadan.

Maura's face was a mask of concern as he led Cami, still holding the little one, over to the secluded spot where the Elf and Man were said to have taken their breakfast. "There's no way that Bilbo was mistaken, not after hearing a tale like that. The first night Ban came, he told me he saw something suspicious. I should have taken him seriously then. He was a sentry in Gondolin and knew how to spot things. If I'd paid closer attention, maybe none of this would have happened.

"I'm not going to be caught napping again. This sounds to me like more than one or two prowlers. We could be in for a rough time. If so, I need a better weapon than this." He held up the cudgel Frodo had given him.

"Cami, how many of the hobbits in the Shire have had any experience with weapons?"

"Few, very few," Cami responded. "Other than one or two incidents at the end of the last war, the Shire has been quiet. There was no reason for hobbits to own a dagger or sword."

Maura shook his head and sighed. He had never regarded himself as a fighter. Yet he did have a great deal of experience. All of the hobbits in Beleriand had seen constant skirmishes and warfare, as they'd been forced to retreat from one city to the next, trying to withstand the forces of Morgoth.

"You wanted to see Pio about those herbs for the girl. Let's see if Mithadan can get hold of some weapons for us. What I would give to have my sword or bow right now! Hopefully, we'll never have to use them, but I won't sit here unprepared, while gangs of unfriendly Men roam through the Shire making serious mischief."

As Cami and Maura approached the courtyard, Pio and Mith looked up in surprise to see Cami still carrying the small hobbit lass.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]