View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 AM   #14
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
well done to those above who have stopped themselves delving too deeply into the differences between book and film. But hang on, if you're already thinking about doing that her, at the Prologue which was pretty faifthful to the books, then what chance have we that we won't have a bun fight in pretty much EVERY other scene in the film?

and here I go starting one off now.....

In the books, we have the siege of Barad-Dur and the fight at Dagorlad. We don't see this. This is an omission not a change.

Now, as Gandalf states to Frodo:
Quote:
It was Gil-galad, Elven-king and Elendil of Westernesse who overthrew Sauron, though they themselves perished in the deed; and Isildur Elendil's son cut the Ring from Sauron's hand and took it for his own.
Gil-gald and Elendil 'defeat' Sauron but are slain. In the histories of any nation, a commander who's Battle was won is seen to be victorious, even if they die. So, in this way we can say that movie wise Elendil and Gil-Galad DID defeat Sauron and his forces as the battle was won.

As Elrond states at the Council
Quote:
I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand. I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him; but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shard of his father's sword, and took it for his own
So Jackson is faithful in having the last Battle on the slopes of Mount Doom. Yes, Narsil brakes beneath Elendil as he fell, that is different. And movie Isildur cuts the Ring with the hilt shard as mentioned by Elrond above. OK, so how this comes about IS different movie wise to how it's described by Elrond, I'll warrant that - but filmically, isn't this a great idea from Jackson and co? Just showing Isildur cutting the Ring from a lifeless Sauron would not look good! and also, he kills two birds with one stone in having Sauron break Narsil and still (technically) have isildur cut the Ring off of Sauron's hand. We had to have a few fingers come off of Sauron's hand because of this shot - It would be pretty much impossible for his one Ring finger to be cut off this way.

to finish, for now, re Isildur wearing armour when swimming. Here Jackson is being totally faithful to the books, but still we have issues.
Quote:
He leaped into the waters, but the Ring slipped from his finger as he swam, and then the Orcs saw him and killed him with arrows.
Does Tolkien say he removed his armour? No. Does he say he leaped into the water? Yes Does Jackson follow this to the letter? Yes.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote