View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #50
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As he waited for the Eorl's reply, Manawyth felt more eyes drawn to his strange figure; a maid, little more than a child, who looked fondly on Eodwine as if some near kinswoman, but also seemed sympathetic, glancing solicitously at him; and another typical Rohir, with hair between yellow-tawny and grey, tall and strongly built, who clearly held some authority here.

But then Eodwine began to speak, his tone, if anything, gruffer and more uncompromising than before. After extracting Manawyth's name, he made his grievances and objections clear.

"I will speak frankly, Manawyth of Dunland. Your folk razed my farm in the Gap of Rohan during the War, murdering my wife and children. I was with the Rohirrim who took vengeance against your people. That the Dunlendings have lost part of their homeland is blame you could lay at my feet."

Then we are the same, Manawyth thought irritably. Have the Strawheads no grasp of logic? But he reproached himself as best he could, though he could not hide a spark of defiance in his dark eye as the Eorl continued.

And part of their homeland? Even the Rohirrim did not deny that they had stolen the entire Westfold in years gone by! Of course they called it "prowess and conquest..."

"Further, you have the look of an outlaw, or at least a fugitive. Is there some crime you have committed against your own people that you flee to us here? If so, why would I take you in? For if I take you, it will not be as mere jobman, but as liegeman and I your lord. Speak for yourself and do not hold back, Manawyth of Dunland."

Here Eodwine struck close to the truth; but as he had no sound reasons for doing so, Manawyth was prepared to evade his question.

"You say I look like...outlaw...Eorl. That is well. You...you look like lout, plunderer, strongarm-wielder and thug to my folk. Why? My kind left your childer dead, your kind my brothers. It has been so for longer than your tales tell. Yet we are men now."

Manawyth looked around the hall in appeal to all who stood about.

"Does the King of Rohan will that men should be his foes, because they were his grandsire's foes? Does he ask that his servants," and he glanced back at Eodwine, "think so?"