View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #156
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The AKM at the Grey Havens

Arda Cup 12, play offs round 1 @ The Grey Havens, a preview

Now because of the ban of the undying lands to host any matches this year the AFA was in dire need of venues the Valimar-based teams could play their first games at. And a solution did present itself – although it would be clear not all footballing sides would be too happy about it. The Havens was the only team still on from groups D and E, and it had hosted the group E and several friendlies with success: and they had a new and shining arena, Lhûnarena, to hold the games in – and with all this buzz, there were some signs the Havens might just bring about a spreading of football-culture in that corner of Arda normally not referred to as “footballing country”. So there was a lot to win in giving the games in there.

The AFA had one requirement though: entertaining the folks outside the arena with just audio-broadcasting the events was not going to be enough. The waterpark and the riverside gardens outside the wall were a great place to bring around an all-folks football-jubilee for those who had not been able to purchase a ticket, and the parks could easily take in even a hundred- to two hundred-thousand crowd. So there had to be giant screens broadcasting the games live from inside the stadium, and some other conveniences offered to the people outside the arena if the Grey Havens was willing to hold the two matches. Cirdan had easy time promising them as the tourists would bring in such quantities of revenue that those investments would be a fly’s buzz in their coffers.

And it really was a boost to the Grey Havens! On top of luring even more of the elves, men and hobbits from the surrounding lands, the Grey Havens draw crowds especially from Valimar, Númenor and Beleriand – and there were many football cognoscenti from all around the ME who reserved their tickets asap as they heard about this double-game evening. It was something a football fan would not let slip from his or her hands. Some media might have been over the top though, like the local tabloid The Lhûnandarwinian which screamed on it’s frontpage: “See the finalists of the AC 12!”, but no one could deny that there would be some real quality football on offer and a dashing display of players.

~*~

The teams did give a short pre-game press audition from where the AKM brings its readers just few clips to give you an idea how things were forming before the games.

The AKM: With the breaking news just in we hear that Imladris lost to Erebor 3-0, any comments on the performance of your son and grandchildren?

Eärendil: That’s the final result? Uhh… I would have hoped Elros and the young-ones to fare better, but this certainly is no surprise either. I mean if you want to go far in a tournament like this you need more stars in your team.

The AKM: But they did have Varda?

Eärendil: Haha. I’m afraid she’s not able to create the kind of stars I’m referring to...

The Lhûnandarwinian: How do you see our chances of qualifying?

Eärendil: Well, FC Valinor surely are the favourites this evening, but if the crowds come to support us, they might become the infamous twelwth player on the pitch and who knows what might ensue? So I hope everyone turns out to cheer for us. We'll make it a game to remember!

The Armenelos Times: Many say Real Valinor hasn’t quite lived up to the expectations, so how do you see our… erm… your chances this evening against The Sea?

Tar Minastir: That’s media-talk, statistician’s pillow-stories, you know. Real Valinor has lost two games, but both those games were against FC Valinor, and they have won all the other matches they’ve played – and against some pretty good teams. So I think there is no reason to think they’re not as tough a team as their opening line-up tells. That said, we’re going to challenge them securing our own end first and trying to imbalance them when or if they get too greedy coming forwards.

The Númenorian: Counter-attacking tactics that is?

Tar Minastir: One doesn’t simply go attacking full force against a team with such skill, experience and talent as Real Valinor. We don’t want to be 0-4 behind at the half-time.

The AKM: Taking an earlier question as a lead, how do you think your team has fared thus far and how do you think your opponents of this evening, The Sea?

Arien: I do agree with wise Tar Minastir about the statisticians “not seeing the forest from the trees”. FC Valinor has been a too tough a nut for us to crack, but hopefully we meet in the finals where we might finally know how to do it. What comes to the Sea, well, Ulmo and his minions will be tough in defence and the great Numenorian talent will surely be a constant threath to our defences. I mean I’m one of those who didn’t think it a surprise they qualified as number one from that tough group they played in: they are both a well balanced team unlike hithlum fex., and they are not as conservative as Manwë’s Valimar so they have what it takes to produce results as well.

The Lhûnandarwinian: How will you plan to bring down The Havens this evening?

Maglor: I see the pointy end of that question of yours. So I’ll answer in kind: I’ve done it once so why not another time? Let me put it this way: how many players do you think we would like to change with the Havens if we had chance?

The Lhûnandarwinian: Well, Eärendil surely would fit any team, and Tuor, and Cirdan is a quality keeper, and Olwë sure brings some backbone into the defence…

Maglor: Heh. The white-haired king of Alqualonde is probably the only one we would even consider… Would you change Huan to Cirdan at the goal? Or my brothers Curufin and Celegorm to Eärendil and Tuor? No offence intended, but don’t make me laugh. You see, the Havens has some pretty good players, but they wouldn’t even fit our opening line-up. That I think tells enough.

~*~

A full match report from both games will appear on this channel as soon as the games are played...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote