View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 09:16 AM   #19
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my humble opinion, the round earth mythology should be kept, along with the creation of the Sun and the Moon prior to the making of the two trees. I want this, because I feel that the coming of men should be put further back, due to the inconstancies of some the time period between man’s awakening and their excavation to Beleriand, some 310 years, in which quite a few years have to go by for man to initially explore the earth, to meet and be corrupted by Melkor, and for some of them to revolt against this. 310 years, is in my opinion wholly unsatisfactory, assuming they awoke at the rising of the sun.
So, the Valar could remove to Valinor and Varda could construct her dome around Aman, thus blocking out the tarnished sun, but Aman cannot be light be stars only, thus the need for the two trees. Varda, said to have the ‘greatest knowledge of the music’ (Well, her Manwe and Mandos) must sense the fact that the Elves must awake soon, and she could construct some new constellations, whilst Manwe blows away the clouds/mists of Melkor and the elves awake. But, what I want to know is where men got the whole sun/moon mythology from? Why would the Noldor lie to them? But, if the majority of the board is for the Trees-> Sun/Moon idea I will agree to that.
We should get rid of the whole Pengolod/Aelfwine framework, since it simply clogs up the story, and it would be easier to read with without Pengolod saying “And, so Aelfwine”, or something like that every so often. So it should be in the style of the Silmarillion. If we are following the Ainulindale D version, then one notable correction is to change Eru’s words, form the “halls of Aman” to the halls of Ea”, something that Christopher Tolkien picked up on. Also, what should Orome’s horns be named-Valaroma or Rombaras?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote