View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #31
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden was shocked and appalled when he heard of Linduial’s kidnapping. He had learned of it the evening before when, after saying goodnight to Lys, he had gone in search of Eodwine to give him his day’s report. The Eorl had sat at a table, a single candle lighting the room about him, his head resting in one hand looking more dejected than Thornden thought any man had a reason to. But when Eodwine told him the news in his quiet voice, even more soft than ever for the weariness in it, Thornden understood entirely.

He had been quick to offer his help in the search for the lady, and Eodwine had smiled. “Yes, I knew you would want to come,” he said. “Merenil did, too.”

“Merenil!” Thornden said, puzzled by the statement. “What do you mean? What did he know?”

“He has offered to stay behind and act as steward in your place as well as mine, so that you would not have to remain behind.”

Thornden didn’t know quite what to make of that, but he hadn’t argued. He did want to go, and yet, it was his responsibility, really, to stay behind. He voiced the opinion, but Eodwine put his fears to rest and told him that he wanted him by his side during the search for Linduial.

So the next morning he had risen before dawn, as did Garstan and Eodwine. Thornden was pleased that Garstan would be with them. He was a level headed man who’s wits and experience would be welcome. They went to the Golden Hall and there met up with the rest of the search party. Thornden sat his horse to Eodwine’s right and a little behind and there waited for things to begin to take place.

“Well, Thornden, I’m glad to see you here!”

Thornden turned and looked and saw approaching him Deren, one of the guards with whom he had an acquaintance. He nodded his head and smiled a bit. “Hello, sir,” he said. “Are you coming with us?”

“I am, indeed! But I had thought,” he said, stopping by Thornden’s mount and placing his hand on the horse’s shoulder, “that you were lord Eodwine’s steward.” He sent him up a rather piercing and questioning glance. “Why aren’t you staying back at the Hall and acting like one?”

Thornden’s smile became a little larger. “The Lady Linduial’s man offered to take my place. I don’t know exactly why, but he has and so I’m free to join in the chase. Who’s leading?”

“Haleth and Lord Eodwine,” Deren replied, turning about and looking towards the two leaders. They were speaking together a few paces away. “Together with united efforts, they should be able to track down the kidnapers, bring back the lady, and punish the villains quite thoroughly.”

Thornden looked at him, an eye brow raising “Anxious to see justice done, are you?” he asked. Deren’s naturally sharp features became sharper still as his jaw clenched momentarily and his little eyes flashed fire.

“When I think about the girl in the clutches of any man, I can not help but be anxious to see justice done. Petty deeds happen all the time and the poor brutes are hanged or punish otherwise, but no act of theft or breaking into a house and burglarizing it is half so bad as this. Can you imagine, Thornden, what she might be going through?”

“I don’t want to,” Thornden said, wishing he had cut him off sooner. “She’s practically just a child,” he said, catching Deren’s eyes. “She doesn’t deserve this, even if she is royalty.”

“Even if! You speak as though it were a crime!” Thornden rolled his eyes heavenward momentarily and sighed. He didn’t answer this accusation and instead asked:

“When do we start, do you know?”