View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I clearly remember waiting for Return of the King. I had finally convinced my parents to let me go to a showing on opening day. It was a triumph because my parents generally hate crowds, and also because the release was on a school night. We gathered up a carload of my friends, and we got all costumed up. I actually still have that picture from that night framed on my desk. I'll be taking it to college with me tomorrow.

I remember the sense of joy mixed with sorrow because this was a new LOTR movie...but also the last one, the end of the journey.

The audience was amazing--applause in all the right places. I love sold-out shows! I could tell that a lot of people present were true fans of the book because lines from the book were greeted with cheers and applause (so was Legolas' surfing stunt, but hey, what can you do? :P ) I remember overlooking differences from the book (though I did want to walk out when Frodo sent Sam away) and leaving generally happy with the whole experience. I did feel a sense of loss, though--that this was the last first time.

It's amazing how many memories a simple question brings back--the trip to the store to by that giant chocolate bar, sharing it with my friends, riding around in my dad's van picking everyone up, sitting with my friend in my mom's kitchen, waiting for her parents to come and get her, returning to school tired but triumphant the next morning...the sense of collective anticipation that had internet fandom waiting expectantly...Good times.