View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #93
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Tobias Hornblower wasn’t sure what to do or say. He stood, face set in stone, thinking hard. He had known that Snaveling was underhanded, but this went far beyond illicit behavior. Foul thoughts had passed between Roa and Snaveling too fast and strong for him to decipher, but he knew their bond was indeed broken and possibly never to be salvaged. In an instant, before Toby could think of anything to say, Snaveling, looking dejected, disappeared like a beaten shadow, fading as the sun’s light hit it. The hobbit didn’t move in the least, the rivers of his mind running faster than ever before.

“Is there nothing to be done?” he said at last, not quite sure why he said it. The words flowed out of pursed lips, which sealed themselves as soon as the phrase was uttered. No one responded, each person looking strangely subdued by the happenings, as was the elder gentlehobbit.

A sudden surge of unknown energy lanced through him as his feet began moving without knowing exactly where they were going. He fled swiftly from the grounds where Roa and Galadel were and heedlessly towards the stable area. He caught sight of the man directly outside, carrying both physical and mental burdens upon him. He bore his traveling cloak and his pockets and the bags that hung at his sides contained the possessions he had brought to the Green Dragon. It didn’t take Toby more than a moment to figure out what was going on. Snaveling was leaving.

Again, his thoughts raced, going in directions they had never attempted to travel in the past. He could do any number of things, follow many paths to different ends, but one path lay before him. Tobias Hornblower had to admit that he didn’t want Snaveling to go, though the fact struck harshly at his pride. He had a friend in the shady man, and friends in Roa and Galadel. He had become a new hobbit in a week, doing things he never thought himself possible of. If Snaveling left, every achievement of his would fade. Toby walked swiftly towards the man, not even having time to consider his words before them began ushering out of him regardless of his thoughts.

“Snaveling,” He said weakly, proceeding alongside the defeated man, “It is apparent to me that you and Miss Roa are not on the best of terms at the moment. It is also apparent that you may be considering fleeing from here. Though you may scorn my opinions, I beseech you, do not act so rashly. Remain here and right whatever wrongs have caused this depression. The party will lift your spirits, I promise you. Stay at least until then.”

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies