Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #273
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
Neurion,re Merry's sword perhaps being the one he got from galadriel. This is why there are so many disagreements on this site. People only sseem to see things in black and white. Why is it so obvious that the sword he uses is theoden's? Why can't you take the leap of faith and see it as the sword galadriel has given him? Why does it HAVE to be theoden's? I cannot understand this.
Note that someone (maybe even me ) could walk through the DVD frame by frame and identify the sword.

Essex, why is it in these movie threads that you (and others) refer back to the books? Is it because you assume that we are all have read the books (which I'm sure that we all have at least once)? Sometimes I think that the misunderstandings come from a poster making a point using *only* the movies as the source material, yet we all have this background knowledge that fills in the gaps.

For example (and I hope that this works as it's all from memory, and I can't remember the theatrical version at all!), assume that I never read the books nor saw the EE version of FOTR. Now in ROTK just where did Frodo that cordless light bulb thing with which he holds Shelob at bay?

We all know where he got it as do the EE DVD viewers. Assume a poster thinks that Bilbo or Gandalf slipped it to him, or that he carried it with him from Bag End, as this poster is 'filling in'. Also assume that the poster asks to limit the discussion to the theatrical versions of the movies. How then would one respond to his/her comments regarding 'inconsistencies, etc?'

See my point (no, not the one on the top of my head)? Now, it's obvious that the poster could pick up the FOTR or EE and find an answer - plus we'd all jump on a reply with information, links, pictures, whatever.

Now, for this example, switch Merry for Frodo and the WK-bane sword for the phial. Limit information to the EE DVDs. There can be only one answer, and this wil be determined after someone does the work above.

There are some possibilities for 'knee biter':
  • the Weathertop 'wrapped in burlap' sword - never stated as magical
  • the Lothlorien sword - made by elves, possibly magical
  • the Rohan sword - no clue
  • the Pelennor fields 'found on the ground' sword - no clue

If it proves that Merry's WK-bane is not elvish, why do we assume that it can be magical (yes, I know that the Barrowdowns' sword is, but I'm in PJ world)? Now, if you're full of vinegar like me, you start thinking that if the sword has no chance of being magical, yet puts the WK on his knees, this lessens the WK 'mystique' and starts making you question why Balrog-slaying Gandalf got owned by the same (which, as you well know, everything always comes back to with me )

Surely a knee shot hurts, but why couldn't someone have shot this guy with an arrow at sometime in the same location? Or encircle him with spears? Etc?

You start down a road that ends up here.

Anyway, forgive the long post - too much coffee, sunlight and Oreo's.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote