View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #108
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
This is only a literary discussion Not entirely accurate, I think. If it were, we wouldn't invest ourselves in these conversations the way we do. A simple literary discussion would be an exchange of equally respected opinions. Tolkien's works touch us at our core beliefs, and we write on these boards passionately. That's why we ruffle each other's feathers sometimes.
Well, for me, it is a 'literary discussion' which I often take very seriously, but I know where to draw the line, & I often simply post what occurs to me as I write. For example, my post yesterday on Shelob/Lilith was pretty much a stream of consciousness & I had no idea what I was going to post when I sat down to write.

Quote:
Yes, but you're also trying to be as persuasive as you know how to be. I don't consider that to be identical to zealous proselytizing, but you are trying to change others' minds. Why else would you have the sig you do?
Actually, I'm not - because I have no desire to be a 'guru', & I don't feel I've got anything to 'teach'. I'm not out to change anyone's mind to my point of view, because I rarely know exactly what my point of view is. That's why I tend often to contradict myself. My sig is there for two reasons: one as my 'get out of jail free' card - its my permission to contradict myself; second, it sounds clever.

Quote:
Everyone needs to lighten up. This, and the sarcasm that follows was spoken in ire. Understandable, since you no doubt felt on the defensive. Rather than lighten up (except for H-I, of course! ), we need to exercise courtesy and restraint. At least on this thread, if you please.
Not 'ire'. Irony, if you like - or sarcasm - which I acknowledge is the lowest form of wit. I wasn't 'on the defensive', though, as (this may come as a disappointment to some) I don't take these discussions nearly that seriously. For me these boards are a means to explore ideas & concepts which I find interesting. If I come across as 'fundamentalist' or 'scary' that's something I can't help - just don't confuse me with mydowns persona.

If I say anything that anyone finds interesting or 'enlightening' that's fine, but its not my motivation for posting. If anyone is upset or offended, I can only repeat 'lighten up', get some perspective.

I don't know enough about anything to be a fundamentalist. Actually, I'm amazed anyone takes anything I post that seriously .
davem is offline   Reply With Quote