View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #318
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ráma and Narika:

Until mid-day, Ráma had little time to think about the promises her sister had made or even to consider what Miri had told her, although something about the young girl's news tugged insistently at the back of her mind. For now she set these worries aside. Many important duties had been neglected during the days of mourning that now required the immediate attention of the clan. Despite the growing urgency felt by many of the Eagles, the clan could not wage an effective campaign unless practical needs like food and supplies were given their due attention.

For the next few hours, while the Elders sat by themselves and talked, Ráma worked alongside Yalisha and Miri who were helping to water the herd of goats and sheep sheltered nearby. Finishing up her chores, she headed back to the tent intending to take her noon meal. But before she could reach her destination, Narika came running to greet her with a serious look reflected in her eyes, "News from Thorne. The Elders have finished their meeting and have asked the clan to gather around the firepit. They have approved mother's request that Thorne and I wed and jointly assume the headship of the clan."

Ráma laughed and reached out to clasp her sister's hand. "But this is good news then!"

"Yes, and no one spoke against us. Mother's influence was still too strong. If some felt otherwise, they held their peace, at least publically."

"And did they discuss the war? Did they agree that the clan should stand against Wyrma?" If the Elders had already reached a decision to rouse the other clans and march against Wyrma's city, her own voice would not need to be raised at the council, and she could begin immediate preparations for her journey south.

Narika shook her head. "They talk and talk in circles, but still there is no agreement. Thorne has explained that you were the last to speak with Ayar. They have consented to listen to your words, and to learn what Mother said. But it will not be easy. Some feel that continued resistence will only infuriate Wyrma. They genuinely fear for the safety of the clan. But there are others.... I do not know about these. Only that Thorne does not trust them."

"I had hoped to stay silent and be able to slip off quietly to the south. But I can see that is not to be." Ráma looked beseechingly at her sister, "I am no speaker. You are the one with the silver tongue. Perhaps you can explain things."

"No, I was not there with mother. If anything can persuade them, it is her words. Speak from your heart, as she would have done. Only say nothing of what we talked about earlier today. That must be a secret between the two of us and Thorne. And do not be too disappointed if they refuse to accept help from the strangers."

Ráma nodded, and the two sisters continued on to the meeting.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-01-2005 at 11:46 PM.