View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
FoN-LQ-02 and FoN-LQ-04: Agreed I forgot to introduce the general change.

FoN-EX-02: Okay for me.

FoN-EX-05: Well no other member of the House of Finarfin or his following were involved in the fight at Aqualondë. Beside Feanor and his people only the vanguard of the people of Fingolfin how were the second in the march colon took part in the fight. If Galadriel left Tiriron with her father and brethren than she would not have seen anything of the action, only the final result. Therefore it is no question that she did depart from Tirion on her own. Bu t we might debate if it is necessary to point that out explicitly.

FoN-EX-18: Agreed.

FoN-EX-20: It is either Arakano/Argon or we have to leave out all princes. As for using Argon, I have already said that the Shibboleth tells that the character was himself never known under that name, so I don’t think we can use it to address him.

FoN-EX-07.5: Nice find, I agree to take it up. But I observed that we might change after that insert Fingon to Arakáno/Argon in correspondence to FoN-EX-20 and his description in the SF as the most impetuous of the brethren. I will call that change FoN-EX-07.6

FoN-EX-28.5: Nice find, but I think this would be better placed earlier:
Quote:
§156 But in that hour {Finrod}[Finarfin] forsook the march, and turned back, being filled with grief, and with bitterness against the house of Fëanor, because of his kinship with Olwë of Alqualondë; and many of his people went with him, retracing their steps in sorrow, until they beheld once more the far beam of the Mindon upon Túna still shining in the night, and so came at last to Valinor. There they received the pardon of the Valar, and {Finrod}[Finarfin] was set to rule the remnant of the Noldor in the Blessed Realm. But his FoN-EX-22.5 {sons}[children] were not with him, for <SF {and once she}once Galadriel had set foot upon that road of exile, she would not relent, but rejected the last message of the Valar, and came under the Doom of Mandos. Even after the merciless assault upon the Teleri and the rape of their ships, though she fought fiercely against Fëanor in defense of her mother’s kin, she did not turn back. Her pride was unwilling to return, a defeated suppliant for pardon; but now she burned with desire to follow Fëanor with her anger to whatever lands he might come, and to thwart him in all ways that she could.> {they}And Finrafin’s sons would not forsake the sons of Fingolfin; and all Fingolfin's folk went forward still, feeling the constraint of their kinship and the will of Fëanor, and fearing to face the doom of the {gods}[Valar], since not all of them had been guiltless of the kinslaying at Alqualondë. Moreover Fingon and Turgon FoN-EX-23 <LQ , though they had no part in that deed,> were bold and fiery of heart and loath to abandon any task to which they had put their hands until the bitter end, if bitter it must be. So the main host held on, and swiftly the evil that was forespoken began its work.
The Flight of the Noldoli from Valinor: You are right that if we want to include the poem or parts of it then here is the place. When I made my draft, I considered the poem not worth the effort without re-reading it. The texts I used are much later then the poem. And we do not prefer poem against prosa. I have now re-read the poem but think still that the younger texts are not in anyway less detailed. And the integration of the poem seems very difficult to me.

Respecfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote